In these lessons I made a set of three French Baguettes! It started using these ingredients: salt (2 1/2 tsp), water (1/4 cup for yeast to dissolve in – another 2 to make the dough), the yeast (I used a little packet of yeast), a pound of flour (about two and a half cups), and a bit extra flour to put on my hands and the cutting/rolling/folding board. I used up a good half – day (a half-night, actually) and a bit of patience. First I put the yeast into the 1/4 cup of water, and let that rest for about twenty minutes. While that dissolved, I got the flour ready, and poured in the two and a quarter teaspoons of salt. then I waited about ten minutes more, and then put the water & yeast into it. I then stirred it around (with the help of mom the great) and then when it became too hard to stir anymore, I reached in and got real covered in the dough from kneading it without the flour on my hands, and it wouldn’t come off, so I washed my hands and it came off as easy as you can say apple pie. Then I was like, “Mom? I think I need some flour on my hands.” She said okay, so off I went in folding again, and this time I came prepared. About ten minutes later, I was back in the kitchen to put it in a bowl to let it rise three times what it was at the moment (it took three hours) and then did it again after deflating it (squishing it together again), so I ended up with a nice texture. I then put it on a cutting board and folded it in thirds. I let this sit for three minutes, and then rolled it into baguettes. Then I lifted it onto a baking sheet and slit it. This turned out nicely, and I had a nice set of baguettes that were slitted and ready for the oven.
After I had it slitted, I put it in the oven for 45 minutes and then mom put a tray of water in the bottom of the oven, and sent me to bed. At the time it was midnight. Then, six hours later, I was up and on my crutches, and I went to check on the baguettes. One failed, and was hard as a rock. Two actually made it, and were edible. This was quite the learning experience!